With the ongoing objective of enhancing relationships across the VCCC Alliance, the position of Research & Education Lead for Gynae-Oncology is offered as an opportunity from within a VCCC Alliance member organisation to join our expert Distributed Leadership team.
The primary purpose for the appointment of the Research & Education Lead (R&E Lead) for Gynae-Oncology is to champion the systemisation of collaboration across the alliance and the broader cancer sector, to integrate cancer research, education and clinical care in the continuous improvement of patient outcomes.
About the position
Working with the guidance and support of the VCCC Alliance Executive Director, Professor Grant McArthur, the R&E Lead will provide leadership, strategic direction and expert advice for the research and education/training aspects of the gynae-oncology stream of the broader Distributed Leadership program, with the goal of embedding the latest research and evidence more quickly into routine clinical practice.
The R&E Lead will work closely with a program Steering Group and work together with a VCCC Alliance Program Manager and Head of Research to set goals that align with both organisational objectives and the aims of the Distributed Leadership program. With the support of a VCCC Alliance Program Manager, the R&E Lead, will also develop and implement actionable strategies and deliverables and report on deliverables.
- The R&E Lead will champion collaboration across the alliance and integrate research into clinical care through identified research and education initiatives. Key objectives of the Distributed Leadership program are to:
- build leadership capability and networks for the gynae-oncology tumour stream across the VCCC Alliance network;
- provide strategic leadership for the research and education/training aspects of the gynae-oncology stream; and
- facilitate sustainable connections that enable alliance members to collaborate more effectively.
- Provide expert advice on gynae-oncology programming to contribute to the VCCC Alliance strategic planning and development processes.
- Continue to assess the gynae-oncology landscape across the alliance to gain an understanding of where the VCCC Alliance can add value to the gynae-oncology stream of the Distributed Leadership program, with consideration for the following areas:
- research and research-enabling infrastructure;
- education, training (including research training) and professional development;
- collection, linkage and sharing of health, clinical and research data that is an enabler
for research and research translation;
- availability of patient specimens and associated data as an enabler for research;
- systems and processes that promote multi-site clinical trials;
- facilitate consumer involvement in the development, implementation and
evaluation of the Program of Work to leverage valuable perspective and input;
- multi-disciplinary meetings as an enabler for professional development and research-led care;
- evidence for best practice across the continuum of care.
- The role of R&E Lead for Gynae-oncology was first established in 2018. During this time, considerable activity has taken place including a needs analysis, scoping, research, and educational outputs in the areas of endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer. This position will build on these achievements to add value in the further identification, development and delivery of ongoing research and educational activities for the new funding period from 2021 to June 2024. The initial stages in this appointment will be to complete a roadmap to facilitate change across the complete cancer pathway. This will include the areas of; research, knowledge translation, education, leadership, and advocacy.
- Lead and advocate for the inclusion of consumers in the development and implementation of research and education activities, with the support of the VCCC Alliance Program Manager, Consumer Involvement and the Cancer Consumer Advisory Committee.
- Act as an ambassador for the VCCC Alliance by:
- increasing awareness of the role of the VCCC Alliance;
- identifying key opportunities for VCCC Alliance engagement;
- speaking publicly about VCCC Alliance programs in the media, scientific and clinical communities;
- contributing content to the VCCC Alliance newsletter and annual report as appropriate;
- other communication activities as and when appropriate.
- From time to time, the VCCC Alliance may also call on the R&E Lead’s expertise to have input into other related activities. Such input will be discussed and agreed in association with the Executive Director.
- With support from the VCCC Alliance program staff, participate in evaluating the Distributed Leadership Program and model of working to inform quality assurance, future planning, and impactful collaborative initiatives for improved patient outcomes. Objectives are defined in the VCCC Alliance Strategic Program Plan 2021-2024 in relation to:
- Identifying measures of success for their tumour stream or cross-cutting cancer theme;
- Key outcomes;
- Program sustainability measures;
- Program acceptability and reach.
Key selection criteria
Skills and Experience:
- Current clinical position within one of the 10 VCCC Alliance organisations
- Significant research profile relative to the opportunity in the gynae-oncology tumour stream
- Track record of successful translational and/or clinical cancer research
- Informed understanding of and commitment to the vision of the VCCC Alliance
- Proven experience in managing a collaborative initiative or enabling collective input and impact
- Experience in developing and/or delivering postgraduate education for health professionals
- Demonstrated success in building research capability in a complex environment
- Demonstrated involvement in and support for evidence-based processes that improve patient outcomes
- A relevant clinical qualification
- PhD or substantial level of research experience
Term and time commitment
The time commitment associated with this appointment will be variable, with the expectation that the R&E Lead will, with the support of their employer, agree how best to manage their R&E Lead responsibilities and their employment commitments.
Candidates should have availability to commit until 30 June 2024.
A set amount of funds will be provided periodically during the appointment to be used to support the successful incumbent in meeting their R&E Lead responsibilities, as best determined by the VCCC Alliance, the R&E Lead and their employer.
See further information about the VCCC Alliance distributed leadership team and download a copy of the position description.
For enquiries prior to applying for this role, please contact:
VCCC Alliance Head of Research, Dr Mark Buzza +61 3 8559 9061 firstname.lastname@example.org or
VCCC Alliance Executive Director, Professor Grant McArthur +61 3 8559 7063 email@example.com
To express your interest
Please send your CV and covering letter addressing the key selection criteria to Dr Mark Buzza at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than COB Friday 22 October 2021.