Full-time maximum term contract to 30 June 2024 (may be considered at 0.9FTE)
- Newly created opportunity to provide oversight and leadership support across multiple programs of work
- Satisfying mix of strategic and hands-on operational involvement with experts in cancer research and clinical care
- Market salary with generous NFP salary packaging available
- Working from home flexibility options available
About the Opportunity
The Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre Alliance (VCCC Alliance) is offering a new position for a Senior Manager, Research Programs to join our busy and dynamic research portfolio team. This position has been created to oversee a key part of the cancer research portfolio and will work with the team to deliver three (of ten) important programs of work which form a part of the VCCC Alliance Strategic Program Plan 2021–2024 (SPP):
- Linked Data (SPP Program 1)
- Value-based Healthcare (SPP Program 5) and
- Distributed Leadership (SPP Program 6)
The role will play a senior role within the Research portfolio team, with intra and inter-program coordination and oversight functions along with line management responsibilities.
This is a full-time opportunity through to mid-2024 (0.9FTE may also be considered)..
Working under the guidance of the Head of Research, the Senior Manager, Research Programs will be responsible for ensuring the planned progress of program objectives and deliverables, monitoring and acting to mitigate risks and identify opportunities. The role will:
- Lead and support program managers in the delivery of program milestones and objectives to ensure the effective management of program resources, timely expenditure of budget funds, proactive management and mitigation or risks, and contract compliance.
- Ensure identified strategic priorities and program initiatives are delivered to a high standard in alignment with the VCCC Alliance vision and objectives.
- Oversee program development and delivery to ensure the involvement and satisfaction of member stakeholders, program Chairs and steering groups.
- Contribute to the identification of discernible metric-driven performance outcomes through an evaluation framework which will inform individual goals and measures of success.
- Ensure the inclusion of consumers early in the development of program objectives and throughout the program cycle to leverage valuable perspective and input.
- Work collaboratively with the Distributed Leadership program team to support the overarching program goals and encourage cross-fertilisation between tumour streams and other cancer themes:
- in particular, work directly with at least two VCCC Alliance clinician Research and Education Leads to support the delivery of their 3-year strategic roadmaps.
- Assist with the development and operationalisation of new or emerging opportunities including the resourcing and recruitment requirements this may entail.
- Prepare reports for internal and external project management and program reporting purposes (including to the VCCC Alliance Joint Committee and Board Committees and the Victorian Department of Health who are our major funder).
To be successful in this role, you will be a proactive and highly motivated individual with extensive experience in the health and medical research and/or health services research sectors. You will thrive on working collaboratively to drive change and achieve results in the health sector and you will have a depth of experience in this area.
You will pride yourself on your exceptional relationship management skills, and you will enjoy working to establish effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. You will be comfortable working with, presenting to and building networks with clinicians, academics, allied health professional and consumers. You will:
- be an experienced manager who leads by example, with the proven ability to coach and mentor a team, with a genuine passion for developing others to reach their full potential.
- be comfortable working iteratively, with the ability to synthesise and utilise complex information and research to provide evidence for a consensus direction in close collaboration with key stakeholders and team members.
- have proven experience in the health and medical research and/or health services research sectors with an understanding of:
- System-level opportunities and barriers for optimal integration of research, education/training and clinical care to improve patient outcomes
- Mechanisms that govern medical and health services research, professional development of healthcare professionals, clinical trials and the use of clinical and health data for research purposes
- have a proven background in project/program management, including working with and applying project management frameworks, with the ability to adjust processes and problem solve to remove unnecessary complexity
- have excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- hold a post-graduate degree, preferably a PhD, in a relevant discipline such as public health, health services research, biological science or clinical research.
About the VCCC Alliance
The vision for the VCCC Alliance is to save lives through the integration of consumer-engaged cancer research, education and patient care.
Founded in the holistic principles of the internationally-recognised Comprehensive Cancer Centre model, the VCCC alliance brings together 10 of Victoria’s leading research, academic, and clinical institutions to achieve what can only be done through state-wide collaboration. Together we will improve outcomes in cancer in metropolitan, regional and rural Victoria, and forge new approaches to cancer research, education, and patient care for all.
Better Together – we connect and support to empower sustainable change
Integrity – we are respectful of the cancer community and accountable for our contribution
Bold – we cultivate ideas and dare to innovate
Patient-centred – we place patients with cancer at the centre of all we do
For All – we champion equity of cancer care for every Victorian
Equity & Inclusion
The VCCC Alliance values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment, free from all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment, bullying, vilification and victimisation.
Contact for Enquiries
For a confidential conversation regarding the role, please contact Dr Mark Buzza, Head of Research on +61 407 553 501
With the ongoing objective of enhancing relationships with our alliance and partners, this position may be able to be arranged as a secondment, dependent on the current employer’s approval. This can be discussed at the early stages of the application process and VCCC Alliance People & Culture will be happy to support the necessary arrangements.
For queries regarding a possible secondment, please contact Dr Mark Buzza on +61 407 553 501 to discuss the possibility of a suitable arrangement.
Download a copy of the position description
Applications should consist of your CV and a covering letter outlining the key reasons for your interest in the role specifically addressing the key selection criteria in the position description.
Please lodge your application via Seek, no later than 5pm, 17th January 2022.