About the position
Working with the guidance and support of the VCCC Executive Director and in close collaboration with the VCCC Head of Research and Associate Head of Research, the VCCC Research Translation and Commercialisation Lead will provide leadership, strategic direction and expert advice to the VCCC, with the goal of driving and maximising research translation and commercialisation opportunities including clinical trial innovation across the VCCC Alliance and the cancer sector.
It is expected that the VCCC Research Translation and Commercialisation Lead will work closely with VCCC program Steering Groups and VCCC Head of Research to perform a needs analysis that will identify opportunities to maximise research translation and commercialisation, industry engagement and clinical trial innovation across relevant VCCC programs and across the alliance.
1. Work in close collaboration with the VCCC Head of Research and Associate Head of Research to provide leadership, strategic direction and expert advice to the VCCC to enhance and maximise research translation, commercialisation and clinical trial innovation.
2. Work closely with program Steering Groups and VCCC Heads and Program Managers to perform a needs analysis in order to identify critical opportunities to maximise commercialisation, industry engagement and clinical trial innovation across the VCCC programs.
3. Work with the VCCC Head of Research to develop a comprehensive industry engagement strategy for VCCC
4. Work with the VCCC Head of Research and Associate Head of Research as well as the Accelerating Novel Therapies (Program 3) Steering Group to develop a research translation and commercialisation strategy
5. Work with the VCCC Head of Research as well as the Clinical Trial Innovation (Program 4) Program Manager and Steering Group to identify clinical trial innovation and collaboration opportunities within the program and support their successful implementation
6.Support and advise VCCC Research and Education Leads with regards to research translation, commercialisation and clinical trial innovation best practice
7. Work with VCCC Program staff and Alliance members to explore and secure leveraged funding opportunities (including but not limited to relevant funding opportunities from MRFF and the Breakthrough Victoria Fund)
8. Champion collaboration across the VCCC alliance
9. Act as an ambassador for the VCCC by:
- increasing awareness of the role of the VCCC;
- identifying key opportunities for VCCC engagement;
- speaking publicly about VCCC programs in the media, scientific and clinical communities;
- contributing content to the VCCC newsletter and annual report as appropriate;
- other communication activities as and when appropriate.
10. From time to time, the VCCC may also call on the VCCC Research Translation and Commercialisation Lead’s expertise to have input into other related activities. Such input will be discussed and agreed in association with the VCCC Head of Research and Executive Director.
Key selection criteria
Skills and Experience:
- A clinical and/or research position within one of the 10 VCCC alliance member organisations
- Informed understanding of and commitment to the vision of VCCC
- A track record of successful translational cancer research
- Significant research profile relative to research translation and commercialising novel therapies
- Significant experience translating novel therapies from the lab into early phase trials
- Significant experience liaising with and engaging industry in non-clinical and clinical development programs
- Significant experience designing and implementing early phase clinical trials as well as later stage Phase II and III trials
- Significant experience leading multi-site clinical trials as an Investigator
- Proven experience in managing a collaborative enterprise/enabling collective input and impact
- Experience in developing and/or delivering post-graduate education/training for health and/or research professionals
- Demonstrated success in building research capability in a complex environment
- Demonstrated involvement in and support for evidence-based processes that improve patient outcomes
- A relevant clinical qualification
- PhD or equivalent level of research experience
Term and time commitment
Availability to commit approximately 4 - 8 hours spread across a week (0.1 or 0.2 full-time equivalent (FTE)) until 31 May 2024.
The funding agreement offered for this appointment will provide funds to be held by the Lead’s current employer for the purposes of backfilling for their position, including any support, for the period.
For enquiries prior to applying for this role, please contact
Dr Mark Buzza, VCCC Head of Research 0407 553 501
Professor Grant McArthur, VCCC Executive Director +61 3 8559 7063
To express your interest
Please send your CV and covering letter addressing the key selection criteria to Dr Mark Buzza, VCCC Head of Research on firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than COB Friday 7 May 2021.