We are seeking a highly motivated consumer advocate with lived experience in the cancer setting and the capacity to commit to the role of Chair of the Cancer Consumer Advisory Committee (CCAC). The ideal candidate will also have experience setting strategic directions, leadership, governance and collaborating with multidisciplinary stakeholders.
The VCCC Alliance is committed to all aspects of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace, providing staff and consumers with a safe, respectful, and rewarding environment. All meetings are offered with remote access.
Scope of Position
The CCAC Chair role will lead the strategic direction for the CCAC and the consumer engagement strategy it governs. The primary aim is to develop a skilled Consumer Network and focus on integrating the expertise of a lived experience in program design and delivery. In addition, the successful incumbent will build collaboration networks and support effective consumer engagement in all VCCC Alliance initiatives to improve cancer outcomes for all Victorians. The expected time commitment is associated with monthly CCAC meetings (formal and informal), participation in the quarterly Consumer Network meetings and varying other VCCC Alliance Strategic Program Plan requirements.
The role of Chair of the Cancer Consumer Advisory Committee (CCAC) is a rare opportunity to:
- Lead and provide strategic advice and grow a robust consumer engagement program of work;
- Lead the lived expertise perspective to drive the successful development, implementation and quality improvement of the consumer program across the VCCC Alliance;
- Advise the VCCC Alliance Board on the strategic implementation of consumer engagement across the VCCC Alliance;
- Be part of a dynamic committee contributing to consumer engagement across all the VCCC Alliance strategic programs;
- Foster networking, information sharing and collaboration across the VCCC Alliance member organisations and partners across Victoria;
- Work closely with the VCCC Alliance Board, VCCC Alliance Executive Director, key VCCC Alliance staff and committees;
- Provide strategic advice on leadership and continuous improvement of VCCC Alliance consumer engagement practice and implementation;
- Role model for the dynamic and passionate committee developing consumer-led research, education and training priorities and initiatives for effective consumer engagement;
- Advocate for the consumer perspective to be integrated across VCCC Alliance strategic programs to facilitate our core value of patient-centredness;
- Identify and develop processes to support capacity building to engage with priority populations;
- Ensure the VCCC Alliance consumer engagement strategy includes a regional perspective;
- Facilitate evaluation and monitoring of the impact of consumers involvement;
- Provide leadership for the development and monitoring of the annual plan of work and ensuring this aligns with VCCC Alliance strategic priorities;
- Support the identification of education and training needs for VCCC Alliance consumers to support the capability building in consumer leadership and advocacy areas.
About the VCCC Alliance
The vision for the VCCC Alliance is to save lives by integrating consumer-engaged cancer research, education, and patient care. Founded in the holistic principles of the internationally recognised Comprehensive Cancer Centre model, the VCCC Alliance brings together ten research, academic, and clinical institutions to achieve what can only be achieved through state-wide collaboration. The aim is to improve cancer outcomes in metropolitan and regional Victoria, and forge new approaches to cancer research, education, and patient care for all.
The VCCC Alliance Consumer Engagement Strategy
The VCCC Alliance has demonstrated a strong and clear commitment to consumer engagement since its inception. As programs evolve, implementing a sustainable yet agile framework remains a priority. Ensuring consumer involvement and perspective across all levels of the organisation enables a patient-centred approach to inform and enhance our work. Solid foundations have already been established, with substantial achievements including, but not exclusive to, the production of an online toolkit of resources, implementation of consumer remuneration, a highly popular annual consumer engagement forum and evidence of consumer advocacy at state, national and international levels. A recent reference of the VCCC Alliance Toolkit and Model of Consumer Engagement in the Victorian Cancer Plan 2020-2024 attests to the quality and value of the strategy.
The VCCC Alliance provides secretariat support for the CCAC and will take responsibility for induction, onboarding and training of Committee members. The VCCC Alliance offers remuneration and expense reimbursement under the VCCC Alliance Accounting and Financial Management Policy and related procedures.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Dr Joanne Britto, Manager Consumer Involvement, [email protected]
To express interest, please send your consumer representative CV outlining engagement with organisations or groups (2 pages maximum). Please also include a cover letter outlining your reasons for applying and addressing the key selection criteria.
Send applications to Dr Joanne Britto, Manager Consumer Involvement, [email protected] no later than 5pm, Friday 21 April 2023.