Insightful, informed and passionate leadership is critical to ensuring all people with cancer receive the best possible care and outcomes. The VCCC Alliance is investing in a major new initiative to educate, build, connect and recognise current and emerging leaders in cancer – across all disciplines – to ensure the future of cancer healthcare in Victoria is in capable hands.
Introducing the VCCC Alliance Leadership Academy
The VCCC Alliance Leadership Academy is a multidisciplinary learning network that will provide leadership education and training, build connection between colleagues and peers, and recognise and celebrate contributions to leadership across the sector.
Underpinned by the belief that leadership is a practice not a position, the Leadership Academy will draw together individuals from all disciplines within the alliance to build a community of like-minded cancer leaders.
Meet some of the key people involved in bringing the Leadership Academy to life, who generously shared with us their vision of what good leadership means to them.
Why join the Leadership Academy?
- Become part of a progressive leadership network within the cancer healthcare community
- Connect with like-minded peers across multiple organisations in the cancer sector
- Gain confidence and upskill your leadership capabilities
- Access opportunities for lifelong learning
- Share your knowledge with others
- Receive early-bird registration with discounts to selected VCCC Alliance educational and networking events
- Access recorded leadership webinars
- Receive regular updates via a Leadership Academy email newsletter
- Enjoy exclusive opportunities to network with other Leadership Academy members
- Receive a VCCC Alliance Leadership Academy enamel pin
How do I become a member?
The Leadership Academy membership is free and open to everyone in the cancer workforce and to consumers.
Leadership Academy Webinar Series
As part of the VCCC Alliance Leadership Academy offerings, there is a monthly webinar series focusing on the various facets of leadership, such as communications, government engagement, resilient leadership and more. To register and for more information, please refer to the VCCC Alliance Events.
A key focus of the Leadership Academy is developing and delivering a bespoke leadership program and online leadership modules. By creating and delivering a leadership program and online leadership modules that empower and prioritise the development of an inclusive leadership mindset across all areas, the VCCC Alliance will be well-positioned to stand as a world-leading cancer collaboration.
We anticipate launching the bespoke leadership program by mid-2023 and online leadership modules in 2024.
- Followership – Prof Spencer Beasley and Prof David Watters
Tuesday, 21 Feburary 2023
- Effective science writing – Simon Torok, Alysha Huxley
Tuesday, 21 March 2023
- Government engagement 101 – Neil Pharoah
Tuesday, 18 April 2023
- Leading self/Identifying skills I need – Prof Jill Klein
Tuesday, 23 May 2023
- Cancer care in vulnerable communities – Siri Gunawardana, Dr Joyce Jiang
Tuesday, 20 June 2023
- Science communication - presentation skills at conferences/large-scale meetings – Ingrid Svensen
Tuesday, 18 July 2023
- How to support a trainee/colleague in distress – Dr Lesley Stafford
Tuesday, 29 August 2023
- The importance of coaching – Dr Sarah Dalton
Tuesday, 19 September 2023
- How to be an effective supervisor/ mentor – Prof Steve Trumble
Tuesday, 24 October 2023
- Cancer care in LGBTIQ+ community - systemic barriers – River Watson
Tuesday, 21 November 2023
Note: this schedule is subject to change. Please refer to VCCC Alliance Events for updated information.
Together, we can:
- Promote effective leadership in a collaborative, multi-partner environment
- Connect leadership capability and capacity building to cancer patients’ health outcomes
- Establish a supportive network of leaders within an interconnected community
- Deliver a range of leadership development opportunities for cancer workforce and consumers at all levels of career progression
- Provide public recognition of exemplary leadership practice across all cohorts of the cancer community.
Leadership Capability Matrix
The VCCC Alliance Leadership Capability Matrix is based on the concept of achieving collective impact, coordinating our efforts towards the shared goal of empowering leadership across the cancer community. It embraces the efforts of all who contribute to research, treatment and advocacy for improved and equitable outcomes. There are four areas of leadership skills building.